Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Hunter

I have told several people about my upcoming trip to Africa, and I have gotten mixed reactions. Those who have a problem with it, don’t like the idea of me shooting a leopard. I grew up a hunter, but for several years I gave it all up. I was even a vegetarian for almost 2 years, but when that ended (which is another story), I gradually came back to hunting. In Brazil I have been asked to kill several caiman, and necessity has led me to kill others. Now I will not pretend to be completely altruistic in my hunting, I rarely do it, but I enjoy it. Not only to I enjoy it, but I am good at it. Certain people like to kill things to kill them, which is why they kill them at a distance without ever getting close. I do not enjoy that type of hunting. If I wanted to prove how great a shot I was, I could just shoot cans at a long distance. Rather I like to hunt problem animals, which mostly requires a close encounter. The last caiman I shot had straightened a ½” thick hook to get away, and someone else had shot one of his eyes out. He had set up his territory where my employee’s kids swam, and once a caiman has set up a territory, they will always return no matter how far you move them. So I shot him at close range with a shot gun after lifting his head up with a long pole. The waters were safer for the children to swim, but still I enjoyed the hunt.
While I was in Reno for SCI, a friend asked me to come to Botswana to shoot a problem leopard, not because I’m such a great shot, but because I could make a deal to have what we needed to kill the leopard. This leopard has to go because it has been killing calves, 5 in the 2 weeks he had been in the States. He would kill it himself, but he needs dogs to do it, and I know someone who has dogs, and wants to come fishing in the Amazon. A trade was made, and I used all of my miles to buy the ticket because this has to be done right about now. Will I enjoy it? Probably. Would I do it if I were going to shoot it from a stand with a rifle? Probably not. It doesn’t seem right to shoot something that can’t even see you. I respect such a beautifully dangerous and efficient killer. This hunt will put the leopard right in front of me requiring a shotgun. It seems better that way.
I don’t mind people who don’t like that I hunt. If everyone was keen on killing, we’d all be in trouble, but killing is part of life whether we like it or not. We kill to live whether animal or vegetable. We all need reminding that killing is necessary at times, but needs to have limits. Am I trying to justify myself? Not really. If I were, I wouldn’t tell you how I enjoy the hunt.

No comments: