Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Cowboys Don't Play in Brazil

In my bag I found a 2008 Cowboys football schedule. “How did it get there? I didn’t watch football, since the majority of the season took place when I was in Brazil.” Curious, I opened it to look at the games I wouldn’t see, and I saw an email address written inside, and I remembered the bar, the redheaded girl, and how I never did email her. Not that it mattered now, but it made me think about all the other girls; some lasting as long as it takes to mumble goodbye in the morning or the others whom I left or left me when I was leaving again. A long list it seems, and would keep getting longer because I wasn’t settling down, and they weren’t up for running away, so why make something more out of what is just another stop? That’s why I’m getting a dog. They travel well and will travel anytime, unlike cats, monkeys, or most women, even those crazy redheads that my friends all hated but were so much fun.

I felt old today talking to a friend from High School, one that I hadn’t seen in 10 years, and he was just as unsettled as me. I listened to some of Jim’s songs, smoked another cigarette, drank a beer, and went to bed.

No comments: